Revenues need to be protected, since not only criminals, but also creative minds, increasingly try to find ways and methods to drain revenues.
The objective of the SIM Box operator is to bypass the international gateway switches in order to bring mobile traffic into a country and have it appear as domestically originated traffic. With this setup, SIM Box owners are able to compete with carriers in wholesale markets where the SIM Box owner’s cost is much lower, resulting in major revenue losses for the mobile carrier.
Simbox or Interconnect Bypass Fraud is one of the most prevalent frauds today, costing the industry some USD 3Billion per year. Calls made via the internet are sent to Sim boxes (machines that house SIM cards) which redirect this illegal VoIP traffic onto mobile networks. Fraudsters effectively bypass the interconnect toll charging points to exploit the difference between the high interconnect rates and the low retail price for on-network calls, thus avoiding payment of the official call termination fee of an Operator or MVNO.
There are two unavoidable reasons for the surge and persistence of this type of fraud. The first is the use of pre-paid SIM cards, which are most commonly used by fraudsters. The ownership and address of the pre-paid SIM cards are much harder to trace compared to the easily traceable postpaid SIMs. The problem is particularly serious in countries where the incoming international traffic rates are high and controls are lax in terms of availability of SIMs and law enforcement.
The second issue is the subscriber churn rate between Operators in the market. The telecommunications industry operates in a low customer loyalty environment. Fraudsters usually take advantage of cheap packages including bundled offers, which earn lower per-minute revenue to the operator than the interconnect rate they can earn from the international carriers. Due to this highly competitive market and the low customer loyalty phenomenon, the cost of all-inclusive bundles is driven down. And disposing of bundle offers and cheap packages is not an option.
Recently the approach of using broadband links has become more and more popular as Sim boxes are widely available and sold at prices ranging from $500 to $10,000. Estimating the size of this grey market can be difficult as it depends on a number of elements and varies from country to country.
With the help of our solution you can detect:
- Calling Line Identity (CLI) is not delivered because the CLI of the SIM used in the SIM Box is delivered instead
- High call volume for an A-number
- Use of only one service (eg voice)
- High proportion of on-net calls
- No SIM movement
- Unusual call diversity to B-numbers
- IMEI swapping
- Identification of hot cell site calling
- Ratio of incoming versus outgoing calls
- 180° Testing coverage – Service Testing, Roaming, VAS Testing, Benchmarking, Radio, POLQA/ PESQ/MOS, Portal Testing, Content Validation, Device Compatibility, VIP Customer Care
- Network independent (2G / 3G / 3G+ / LTE / LTE+ / DSL / LAN / WiMAX / PSTN / ISDN)
- Most comprehensive test case library (Call, SMS, MMS, Email, FTP, HTTP, WAP, Portal Testing, DNS, Ping, Video/Audio Streaming, TCP/UDP, VAS)
- Complex Cross Service Testing capabilities (i.e. WAP Browsing + RTSP, HTTP + SMS, Call + USSD, etc.)
- Best Practice for Product based Testing – pre launch phase or live (i.e. Video- or Music Portals)
- Link Less Testing – Test probe communication over the air (2G/3G/4G automatic mode)
- Stationary, Mobile and Drive testing capabilities
- Network Radio Parameter Monitoring during standard tests carry out
- Ad Hoc and field testing capabilities for fast problem verification
- Handset profiling and inter compatibility tests capabilities
- Handset Profile Recorder for additional handset Profiles generation within few seconds
- Blackberry Testing
- SIM Array Sharing (One SIM Array for multiple Installations or many SIM Arrays connected to the same Installation)
- Easy probe distribution using Plug and play mechanism
- Remote test software update, even over the air
- Easy probe units management and configuration over the air (SMS) and over LAN
- Probe unit monitoring / alarming
- Probe Unit Remote Access and Remote Login, even over the air
- Multi user web based application with comprehensive access rights management Personalized web based access on management console
- Plug-in based system (new modules can be added quick and easy)
- Standalone rapid test scenario designer (XMASS RDS)
- Layer 3 tracing capabilities (optional)
- Build-in IP Tracer for depth analysis
- Automatic HTTP and WAP test scenario creation using HTTP/WAP Recorder
- Test Scenario exchange between different user und different platforms using standard XML format
- Test results local storage capabilities on probes (backup)
- Network, Provider, Technology and Band forcing
- Identify potential "black sheep" SIM-Cards used in SIM-Boxes
- Increase your revenue by blocking cheating SIM-Cards
- Find potential local terminated calls from international numbers
- Prevent roaming revenue loss
Our Solution does not offer a sim box detecting service.
Pixip.net only provides the Software Platform for evaluation of Fraudsters.